PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of an 'old' 10 kW Bergey

Mel Tyree
12th February 2010, 12:29
Hi all,
I tried starting a new thread on Feb 6th but don't see it so will try again. I hope this is not a duplication, but does contain new information since I last tried.
Rob Beckers suggested to me that we should try using Power-One's Aurora inverters on my 10 kW Bergey wind turbine. So I bought two PVI-6000 inverters and wind boxes, and Rob & I installed them in Nov 2009. We have been programming several MPPT tables and trying to improve performance. I am likely to get a 35 to 40% improvement in annual energy yield. Others with old Excel's will experience an improvement too but not as much as in my case.
I attach a file with details for those who want to learn more.
Best regards,
Mel Tyree
Prof., Univ Alberta
Dept Renewable Resources.

Mel Tyree
13th February 2010, 08:20
Hi,

I just visited the Bergey Windpower site to notice they are marketing an improved generator with a 'NEO' magnet. BWC tells me that their old Excels turbines used ferrite magnets. They now have an improved power curve. There has been a continuous improvement in the BWC power curves over the past 8 years. When NREL first tested a Bergey, the power output at 11 m/s was 5.94 kW. When BWC changed blades the value went up to 6.9 kW. The new NEO generator has brought the value up to 8.2 kW.

NYSERDA is now rating turbines by the power output at 11 m/s. So the ’10 kW’ Bergey is getting nearer to its goal of 10 kW. BWC informed me that the NEO generator will not work with their older GridTek10 inverters. The good news is that Rob Becker’s stacked Aurora inverter system (installed at my home) can match or slightly exceed the performance of the newest BWC turbine. It could be a good option for owners of a Bergey, who need more energy, to replace a GridTek10 with an Aurora system and it would be very cost effective to replace the GT10 when next needs major repair.

In my case the GT!0 never worked properly so I am expecting a 35 to 40% improvement after replacing the my GT10 and the old GT10 is still on my wall and can be switched on as a backup unit.

Attached is an updated version of my last post with lots more details.

Regards,
Mel

Dan Lenox
13th February 2010, 08:45
Mel,

Just sent you message.

I would like to help out your cause/testing by providing you free licenses for PowerDashboard. One important data point that I see missing is turbine RPM.

Recently I have integrated the LabJack U3 and U6 devices, and is almost ready for testing, and using these can acquire turbine rpm, volts, shunt amps as well have integrated anemometer interface.

This gives you integrated log file with resolution up to 1sec.

You simply would have to tap into the AC output from the wind turbine (stepping voltage down) and connect to a shunt.

Dan Lenox

Mel Tyree
13th February 2010, 09:54
Hi Dan,
I would certainly like to try out PowerDashboard. I do log generator Hz from which I can calculate RPM.
I recently met a turbine installer, Dwayne Cormier, in N. Hero, VT, which is about 45 min away by car. He has installed 19 Bergeys in VT and NY and usually convinces his customers to install some extra monitoring equipment. We plan to keep in touch because he is interested in how turbines work and is more technically astute than your average installer. So I think he might be interested in PowerDashboard too.
Thanks,
Mel

Mel,

Just sent you message.

I would like to help out your cause/testing by providing you free licenses for PowerDashboard. One important data point that I see missing is turbine RPM.

Recently I have integrated the LabJack U3 and U6 devices, and is almost ready for testing, and using these can acquire turbine rpm, volts, shunt amps as well have integrated anemometer interface.

This gives you integrated log file with resolution up to 1sec.

You simply would have to tap into the AC output from the wind turbine (stepping voltage down) and connect to a shunt.

Dan Lenox