PDA

View Full Version : Very basic questions...

Max Wiesner
20th January 2010, 12:31
Hi there!

I am going to build a wind turbine - i a not 100% sure on the electronics side of things:

I am getting hold of a 24v DC permanent magnet generator with an output rating of 100W @ 2500 RPM, once i have it up and running what is the most common way of storing the charge (obviously a battery).

I think I will need an inverter to convert to AC, is it then simply a case of plugging in a suitable battery? If so what would you recommend?

Im a little confused about regulating the power, what would happen to excess energy once the battery has charged, I suppose I would have two battery's and alternate them when one is charged?

Help is greatly appreciated, any product recommendations would be helpfull in furthering my research.
:)

Ethan Brush
20th January 2010, 19:41
Max,

Are you off or on grid? In a typical off grid battery system the turbine connects directly to the batteries, and you use a diversion controller to "bleed off" power to a resistor to control the charge. The xantrex C series and morningstar/tristar TS series are the two commercially available diversion controllers (use the tristar for wind because the xantrex is slow to respond to voltage fluctuations) but other make their own or use a voltage controlled switch to turn on relays that connect diversion loads. If you want AC power just connect an inverter to the batteries as normal. Depending on what you are looking to do, the trojan t-105 are good small starter batteries, but we would need to know a lot more about how much storage you need and resource you have.

Max Wiesner
21st January 2010, 09:16
At the moment I am in the beginning stages of research. I was at uni, but its not for me, and when this tenancy runs out that's it!

My Immediate concern working out the logistics of kinetic to electric - i studied physics so understand the principle.

My energy usage is VERY low i will only need to begin with enough juice to run my laptop (my teacher!) and a light to read by. Heating will come from a wood burning stove.

I expect wind power may be a tall order at first, my life style will be lets say nomadic! I will most probably to begin will convert an old exercise bike.

I was thinking about using, if possible a 200-500W pma, preferably the latter.

Im not of the grid yet.

Thankyou for the reply Ethan, I need pointing in the right direction and a place to ask questions, I need honest advice! So I appreciate you or anyone taking the time to answer. :)

I will look into diversion controller, relay, diversion loads and check out trojan t-105's.

I'm UK based if that makes a difference.

Ethan Brush
21st January 2010, 17:16
It sounds like perhaps solar would be better for you. One or two panels and two t-105's would take care of your needs for now, but it depends if you want a system you can expand or grow into.....

Steven Fahey
28th January 2010, 13:58
Did you write that correctly? You didn't just buy this DC motor off e-bay did you?
You will have trouble getting it to turn fast enough to do anything, at that rate.

For a sense of scale: a 4-foot diameter wind turbine rotor will collect for you about 100Watts max, maybe 200. You should expect it to turn about 300 RPM when it starts giving you the juice, and reach max power between 600-900 RPM.

None of these speeds are in the right range for what you've got.:sad:

Sorry if you got burned. I can point you to some ideas and projects that work well, without taking the risk of buying "the wrong generator", if you like.

Max Wiesner
30th January 2010, 09:10
No I haven't brought it yet! I am quite impulsive and learn not through meticulous study but just going out and doing it.

What I really want is a P.M.A that I can use to charge batteries for light, to run a laptop charge a phone and other low power bits.

There is no way I can afford solar, wind will probably be out of the question the council wouldn't allow such an 'eyesore' (and i realise it is to complex) and so human power seems the best option. I would like to convert an old exorcise bike.

If any one can recommend realistic figures, for reasons made clear by Steven Fahey (thanks) i would appreciate it. No one in the UK really has a clue and we all seem to try and rip each other off - and to suggest an interest in self sufficiency in the UK can result in you being branded clinically insane.

I have done a little research and i am aiming for around the 400w mark. How can it be done?

Thanks

Brian McGowan
2nd February 2010, 22:59
Max,
I have one of these that I got off of ebay to hook to an engine someday. I also have small windturbine set up that uses one like this also from the same company. Another person here used one of these to replace the standard GM alternator in their micro hydro arrangement. They can be gotten from Ebay. It is just a standard GM alternator with the electromagnet core replaced by permanent magnets. This is about as simple as it gets. They used to have a nice knurled rod that you could buy and bolt to the alternator that would just turn on the bicycle tire.

http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/powerpmas.html

My little turbine.
http://home.comcast.net/~bigvid

That's what I have to offer.
Good luck
Brian