PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Alxion PMGs?

Marshall Swearingen
5th January 2010, 12:02
There's been talk on this forum about Ginlong PMGs. From my experience they're solid and reliable alternators. I'm wondering if anyone has used PMGs made by the French company Alxion. It looks like there would be more machining and design necessary to adapt them to making a turbine, as they don't have the casing and shaft like the Ginlongs. I'm puzzled that the spec sheet lists the same voltage output at both high and low RPMs. Anyone know how to explain that? Anyone ever use these alternators?

Marshall in Montana

Rob Beckers
5th January 2010, 13:00
Hi Marshall,

The Eoltec Sciroccos that we import from France and distribute in North America have Alxion alternators in them, from the 400-series. Several customers of mine, that I do wind turbine consulting for, also use Alxions, so they seem popular. My opinion is that Alxion alternators are probably the best money can buy, very well made, but also very expensive.

They make low and high RPM versions of the same alternators. The high RPM version has much thicker wire, and less windings. Both reach the same rated voltage, but the high RPM ones do so at a much higher RPM, and can consequently produce far more power. For wind turbine use only the low RPM versions are of interest though, unless you plan on using a gear box (which is usually a bad idea).

I believe Alxion will do custom housings for their alternators on demand, and at a price, with bearings, mounting flange etc. But you better talk to them about that.

-RoB-

Marshall Swearingen
5th January 2010, 16:48
Thanks Rob,

I didn't know Alxion is in the Scirocco. That immediately gives me confidence in Alxion.

You're using Aurora 6kW inverters with your Sciroccos, right? Know of anything more in the 10kW range, besides pairing a couple Auroras? I'm looking at Ginlong inverters, but it looks like their 10kW inverter is set to high voltage tie, and won't work as a standard grid-tie. Plus, I'm somewhat skeptical of the Ginlong inverters, and haven't heard from anyone using them.

Marshall

Rob Beckers
6th January 2010, 08:15
Hi Marshall,

Alas, there are just very few choices for wind inverters. Besides a few turbine-specific ones, the only UL/CSA listed inverters I know are either the Power-One Auroras or the SMA WindyBoys. As mentioned in another thread the Auroras are IMO better (real MPPT table, much wider MPPT range), but the WindyBoys stack more easily for higher power values.

Power-One has a 12 kW wind inverter in the pipeline, as well as 5kW inverters with transformers so they stack better. Can't say when they'll be available though.

Don't know a thing about the Ginlong inverter. In general, Chinese inverters have voltage ranges and 'features' that don't jive with UL/CSA requirements (for example, very different rules apply for voltages over 600V).

-RoB-