PDA

View Full Version : Rectified 3 phase wild AC

Joseph OLall
23rd December 2009, 23:30
Question for the electrical experts -
What is the rectified DC power of a 3 phase wild AC PMG reading of 8amps 53v AC per leg?:o

Dan Lenox
24th December 2009, 07:21
Joseph,

Is this connected in Delta/Star/Other?

Dan Lenox

Dan Lenox
24th December 2009, 07:47
Joseph,

If in a star configuration the calculation is RMS * 1.73, assuming that your 53v is RMS. You loose about a volt in the rectifier, so you should be getting about 90v output. So total watts = 90 * 8 = 720 watts.

Now with that being said, you did not mention if this was to be connected to a battery bank, if so you will never see 90v as the battery bank will 'cap' the voltage.

So how about giving us the rest of your system configuration...

Dan Lenox

Dan Lenox
24th December 2009, 08:19
Joseph,

Here is a nice online calculator that I had a link to:
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Star-Delta-Wiring-Calculator.htm

Dan Lenox

Joseph OLall
25th December 2009, 15:49
Joseph,

If in a star configuration the calculation is RMS * 1.73, assuming that your 53v is RMS. You loose about a volt in the rectifier, so you should be getting about 90v output. So total watts = 90 * 8 = 720 watts.

Now with that being said, you did not mention if this was to be connected to a battery bank, if so you will never see 90v as the battery bank will 'cap' the voltage.

So how about giving us the rest of your system configuration...

Dan Lenox

Thanks Dan. I will get some more data and post it. I am trying to compare the power at each of the 3 wires coming from the PMG (star configuration) to the rectified DC output from the controller.

My configuration - Outback VFX 3648, MX-60, (9) Sanyo HIT-190 - 1710watts, custom built wind generator using Ginlong 1800PMG, 1000AmpH forklift battery bank 48Vdc.

Rob Beckers
27th December 2009, 07:33
If those values are phase-to-phase voltage and line current then it doesn't matter if the source is delta or wye, all that counts is what is going down the wires, the equation is:

P = SQRT(3) * Irms * Vrms

Just as Dan wrote.

Keep in mind though that this is for a power factor of unity between current and voltage, and a regular bridge rectifier is a far cry from unity power factor (the power factor indicates how well the current and voltage are "in phase", basically in lock-step, the more they are out-of-step, the less actual power is being transported despite large voltages and currents). In real-life for a 3-phase bridge with capacitors the actual power is about 70% - 75% of what you would get with the above equation due to the poor power factor.

-RoB-