PDA

View Full Version : UK Wind trial report of 154 turbines

Rob Beckers
15th July 2009, 07:09
(Edit: I previously posted this on the S-W-H list, then realized it would make a good thread here as well)

The Energy Saving Trust in the UK has just published their report on a field trial of a total of 154 wind turbines in the 400W - 6kW range. A number of turbines was building mounted, and a portion free standing. Of the total, 57 were fully monitored by EST, the rest of the data was provided by owners and the Warwick Wind Trials.

The report is a little light on reported data (I wish there were more numbers in there). Instead, they give a more abstract view of wind turbine performance. From the conclusions: Building mounted turbines uniformly performed very poorly, with some even being net-consumers of electricity! The wind prediction tools generally overpredicted wind speeds, especially for urban and/or rooftop sites. Turbine location (in clean, non-turbulent airflow) is everything when it comes to production.

The best performing turbine was a 6kW Eoltec Scirocco installed in the Orkney Islands, with an energy production of 22,000kWh/year (FULL DISCLOSURE: We are a distributor for the Scirocco wind turbine in North America).

A nice write-up by the BBC of the report can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8139373.stm

For the full report go to this link:

http://server-uk.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=corporatedocs&ci=energyst&tu=http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/content/download/554381/1961689/version/3/file/location

While trials such as these are important, my own opinion is that they dumbed down the results too much to make the report very useful. I would really have liked a more comprehensive listing of sites, pictures, turbines installed, and wind plus performance data for the sites. The conclusions as drawn by the report are rather obvious, and while it is a good thing that they went through the trouble of confirming them, they should be no surprise for anyone in the wind business.

Trying to link wind prediction models to actual wind speed measurements for building-mounted turbine sites is very much comparing apples to oranges: It is clear that buildings obstruct the airflow and cause turbulence, something that is simply outside the scope of wind prediction models (both in how they work internally, as well as how they are intended to be used). I am not sure how the writes of the report see this as a shortcoming of the models, while it rather is a shortcoming of turbine siting. I can install a wind turbine in my basement; should there be a wind model that properly predicts production for that?

While the free standing turbines do better, the report concludes also for them that sites with adequate wind are few. Given the European love affair with very short towers that, again, is no surprise. It is rare to see a small wind turbine (ie. 10kW and under) mounted on anything higher than 15 meters (50ft) over there, with most well below that number. Their best performing turbine, the Scirocco on Orkney, is mounted on a 12 meter tower (40ft). What do they expect? Except for a few lucky locations, anything under 18m (60ft) is bound to be well within turbulent air, and most locations will need a substantially higher tower to get into clear, non-turbulent air (let alone that wind speed and energy production also increase with height). Possibly the focus should be on advising about more realistic tower heights and wind turbine locations.

For anyone interested, I wrote a web page that tries to present an overview of wind turbine site selection:

http://www.solacity.com/SiteSelection.htm

Enough of my rants. It is a good thing that this reports once again underlines the importance of proper turbine siting. Now let us hope people learn from it.

-RoB-

Steven Fahey
17th July 2009, 15:00
Hi Rob. Thanks for the review. Well, I'm looking forward to seeing the report (despite your opinion of the shortcomings) but the EST website is down! :suspicious:

Could it be that the EST is more of a policy/lobbying group, not really an industry watchdog? Reports short on numbers and long on broad conclusions probably come from the former. For the latter, I assume you know all about Mr. Gipe's work?

Don't be shy about the Eoltec - any positive advertising must be good for you!

Rob Beckers
17th July 2009, 18:22
Hi Steven,

I believe EST is for real, they are not one of those groups that put 'green' (or something like it) in their name to attract an audience and then lobby for nuclear energy (not making this up, there was/is one but I can't recall the name right now). My guess is that they want to keep the information accessible for the average public, and decided to keep out all technical details. Their comments on rooftop turbines are scathing though (justifiably so in my opinion, it's a scam made up by small wind manufacturers and unscrupulous installers that's doing lots of damage to the small wind industry).

Yup, I know Paul Gipe. He's a good guy. We've chatted on the phone a few times. His "Wind Power" book is definitely recommended. It's somewhat of a standard on wind energy and I would say required reading for anyone seriously into wind energy.

As to the Scirocco, I'm trying to walk a fine line. :) If others are like me they are positively turned off by continuous gratuitous advertising. So in my mind at least, it would work against me to do that (not that I would ever consider that kind of tactic). My hope is that as the installed base grows the word will get around that it simply is a turbine that works, that's more than one can say for many small wind turbines. It is a very boring turbine; no fancy shapes, no blinking lights, no break-down drama, these things just sit on top of a tower and spin away with little fuss, somewhat like solar energy, or watching the grass grow.

Since you're asking, there are a few interesting details about the Scirocco (I'll shut up about it after this message). The story I heard is that it was originally developed for use on the Orkney Islands, north of Scotland, out in the Atlantic. The problem was that turbines were flying apart over there, and a wind distributor needed something that would hold together. That's how the Scirocco project got started. The story is that besides the Scirocco there is only one other brand of turbine that will survive the winds for any duration there (I won't tell which one). At the moment there are about 200 Sciroccos installed worldwide, and they are producing them flat-out, expecting to sell around 200 this year alone (doubling the installed base).

That's it. Now you know as much as I do .... well ... almost.... :D

-RoB-

Bryan Rendall
3rd September 2009, 07:07
Like Rob, we are importers of the Scirocco, but we can also vouch for their reliability! Firstly though, the EST (energy Savings Trust) is a significant organisation in the UK, and manage the grant funding for renewable energy projects for small installations. They do have an interest to ensure that their funding is used wisely and appropriately, and not on "lemons" that use more power than they produce!

We were pleased that the top performer in the UK was a Scirocco here in the Orkney Islands. 22,000 kWh per year is not bad going, but not the highest producer we have! 5 Scirocco's were selected for independant monitoring, but didn't include the one that consistently knocks out between 23,000 and 25,500 kWh per annum! It is on a different island, with a little bit more ground elevation, so it sees a little bit more wind.

We too wished that the data was more comparitive, as all that monitoring must yield some interesting results if the data were tabulated and laid side by side! Thats the one thing that is so lacking in the UK at the moment, a single place with independantly verified or measured data, which means people can compare like for like. Instead, people have to build up their own picture based on manufacturers claims, interspersed with the best of the independant data that is available.

In the UK, a website http://www.renew-reuse-recycle.com includes a database of real production figures posted by real owners from their real turbines. Thats about the closest we have to comparitive data, although each turbine is of course on a different site! Again, the Eoltec Scirocco is consistently the highest performer in the UK, beating even a 10 kW Bergey! But as the EST report says, its all down to Location, location location.

Most manufacturers supplying turbines in the UK are now undergoing the Microgeneration Certification Scheme accreditation for their turbines, and this should hopefully yield a good supply of independantly verified performance and reliability data. Whether or not the manufacturers are prepared to release this, if it doesn't say what they want it to, remains to be seen....

As an aside, the Eoltec Scirocco is the only turbine bold enough to undergo its accreditation testing in the Orkney Islands - All the others that we know of in Scotland are being tested on a relatively low wind speed site in the south of Scotland near Glasgow. The Scirocco is undergoing its testing to full IEC 61400 Class 1 standards in a place where we can be assured it will get some of the harshest weather conditions in the UK this winter - To be honest, we are hoping for the worst we can get - 50 m/s or more would be good! If only everyone else tested to such extremes....

Bryan Rendall
24th September 2009, 15:09
5 Scirocco's were selected for independant monitoring, but didn't include the one that consistently knocks out between 23,000 and 25,500 kWh per annum!

3rd year production data for this turbine has now arrived! After 3 years of operation, it has produced 70,074 kW - Thats a 3 year average of 23,350 kWh per annum!

Rob Beckers
28th September 2009, 07:23
Wow!! That's almost 2000 kWh per month!
Must be a heck of a windy place where that turbine is installed: My spreadsheet shows it takes around 8.5 m/s annual average through the rotor to get that kind of production. Just imagine how much it would produce if you would put these turbines up on a real tower instead of those 10 - 12 meter ones that seem to be popular in Europe (though at this particular site keeping it low probably helps to make the turbine survive the winds).

-RoB-

Bryan Rendall
28th September 2009, 09:35
Hi Rob,

Yep, its a windy place and its called Orkney! :)

We havent done monitoring at that site, but NOABL (the UK windspeed computer model) suggests 6.7 m/s - But thats as good as a computer model, and the fact it only has 1km square resolution.

However, in the trial , the Energy Savings Trust measured the windspeed, as well as the kWh of the test turbines. Their figure for the the one on North Ronaldsay that was the highest producer in the UK (22,000 kWh per annum) was 5.75 m/s MAWS. That was based on an anemometer that they independently erected

Hi masts in Orkney is probably not worth the effort. We have hardly any trees for a start (and those we have are more horizontal bushes than trees....), and the wind shear is really low. Even 900 kW turbines get erected on towers as low as 40 - 45m! Taller towers attract more planning (building permit) problems than shorties, and anything over 20m tip height falls outwith a "domestic" turbine. Its not impossible to put them on taller towers, just more hassle. And in Orkney, for not a lot of gain!

Cheers

Bryan