PDA

View Full Version : Building a 2Kw Hummer windgenerator

Cor van Houtum
20th June 2009, 11:40
Hello guy's,
Hereby our latest little project
2kw Hummer on a hydraulic tower
Aurora windinverter with a sungrow controller and dumpload (integrated)

YouTube - Draaistroom 2Kw hummer

Tim McMurran
21st June 2009, 08:19
Nice idea on the tilt up tower. Bit short, but I can see that the concept would work out very well, and the fact that it is a manually operated system keeps the gremlins away a little better. :idea:

Sam Chamas
21st June 2009, 14:16
:idea:well built, that hydrulic idea is a great one.

Sam Chamas
www.wrapwind.com

Brian McGowan
22nd June 2009, 11:00
Wow! That is very cool!
I have been thinking about my real tower. So far my best option seems to be a telephone pole that sticks up 40' with a 7' pipe on top to mount the turbine to and give enough clearance for me to put a 10' turbine. I would prefer not to climb if I can avoid it but I will if I have to and it is probably the least expensive way. I have been thinking about a vertical trolly arrangement to run up the side of the pole but there are issues I have not been able to resolve yet.

Your option looks very simple. I have the following questions.

How big a piece of concrete is the tower mounted to?

Do you think a 47' tower could be done this way? I don't care where it hinges as long as the turbine ends up close enough to the ground to get at even with a lader if need be.

Where did you get that nifty hydraulic arrangement?

Will you post more details and pictures?

Thanks,
Brian

Rob Beckers
22nd June 2009, 13:10
Brian, regarding the telephone pole (or utility pole) tower: I've heard that people make tilt-up towers from these using two more sections of pole. The two 'feet' are set in concrete, the actual tower goes between them, using a big bolt. A counterweight completes the contraption (or you can do without and use a winch). Might be an idea for a cheap tilt-up (no guy wires!).

-RoB-

Brian McGowan
23rd June 2009, 12:14
I have posed this question on other forums and that was one of the suggestions. I have been making drawings and that is one of them. I am considering all options right now. No guy wires is a key requirement. Mounted next to the corner of my garage is another one.
Brian