PDA

View Full Version : --Parrallel the field windings -----

Ken Kacel
14th May 2009, 14:08
My large wind turbine has shunt field windings. It is actually a single phase alternator that was used on an aircraft carrier to put tension on the cable when the aircraft was hooked during landing. Its a beast probably 20-25hp. weighs 200lbs plus. I don't know how old it is, probably late 50s early 60s.The fields are normally in series which means you need 100v or more to saturate the electro magnetic field. I only produce about 35V to 45V dc on average through my full wave rectifier. So, I parrelled the shunt fields(4 electro magnets) which gives my 1/4 of the voltage needed for saturating the fields, I had to make sure North and South were still the same. Current direction determines this and a compass helps to verify.

I lost my 12ft blades in 60MPH wind gusts and shoot they were my nice handcarved Sitka spruce. They did not have any twist to them. I wish I had two sets of blades, 12footers for spring/summer and 10footers for fall/winter.

So, you can use a motor/generator with shunt windings at lower RPMs and still get full flux from your magnets. Voltage will be proportional to the amount of lines of flux and the speed at which your armature windings cut the lines of flux. EMF - Electromotive force. Your lines of flux will increase up to that of the saturation of your electromagnet beyond saturation it is power loss. But I found controlloing the field to be a great asset to matching the blade chacteristics at different wind speeds to the varying power out.
It is like gearing for power bands.

Rob Beckers
20th May 2009, 06:48
Got any pictures of The Beast Ken?
What do you use for controlling the field windings? Do you need to excite them from an external source, or does the alternator have enough remanent magnetism in it to self-excite?

-RoB-