PDA

View Full Version : Starting my Second One

Rejean Hebert
8th May 2009, 23:58
Hello everbody

Made my first Wind Turbine in the summer of 2006 Check my old picture
http://www.escapenorth.com/lydiall/lydilist.html

Now that I have a job with more time on my hand. It's a fly in two week - Out two week 12 hrs day's for DeBeers Canada Ontario first diammond Mine.
http://www.debeerscanada.com/files_2/victor_project/factsheet.html

Here is the start of my next project in the making will keep you posted here a few picture so far.
http://www.escapenorth.com/windescape2/windesc2.html
15 bmp picture & 10 png from 2009 cad 11"x17"

P.S. Old one stayed up only 3 week made all of the classic tower mistake but that a other story

Rejean Hebert

Rob Beckers
9th May 2009, 07:21
Hi Rejean,

A warm welcome at Green Power Talk!
We've had an influx of new members lately, so hopefully it will be more lively again. It would be great to see more DIY projects. Although, DIY is probably not the right term in your case: That is one honking big blade!! What size wind turbine is this going to be (in feet and kW)? Beautiful blade by the way, not many people make the effort to carve the inboard section of the blade as wide and contoured as you did. I would be very interested to see more about the alternator construction when you get to that part (saw the drawings on your site). Keep it coming!

By all means, tell us more about the earlier tower failure. It's good to learn from mistakes of others, especially when it comes to towers (they're dangerous!). I know of a tilt-up tower where the installer didn't secure one of the turnbuckles by threading the end of the guy wire through it. Didn't take more than 2 weeks for the turnbuckle to unwind, and the tower to fall over. Expensive mistake!

-RoB-

Stewart Corman
13th May 2009, 08:01
Rejean,
Nice to see more people are getting out of the "toy" domain.
Had a look at your diagrams and I am curious about your blade profile ...I see the twist and flat bottom, and presume that your dimensions (6096) are in mm, which means that blade is 20ft long with rotor mounted on a 100ft tower?

The leading edge of the blade appears very sharp, whereby most make it more like a bullnose? The profile looks similar to the original Jacobs

looking forward to gaining insight from your past and future exeriences

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Rejean Hebert
6th June 2009, 22:20
Here what happen when you dont pay attention to detail

Had stated to replace some of the turnbuckle on the ginpole side
Cause by three turnbuckle that open and lose three sepport wire
all on the same side north wind that night around 55 mph jumping to 80
had no RMP indication setup at time portable meter set to min-max was
reading 160Vdc at 80A. All wire was #4 AWG all had sign of over heating damage.

Load was two 2400 watt UPS inverter on battery and two 2000 watt dump load heater.

The 9 phase 18 coil and the ( 15A inline fuse were ok which is a no no ?)

The tower fail the 3 rd time it furl and overspeed

I did not feel to bad after I when in to town and found out two other tower fail that
night Barino Harware and Longlac Logging and their were design by Eng.
P.S (Picture of open turnbuckle fail to load) ?????

Well that the past now on to better thing
Rejean

Ralph Day
7th June 2009, 17:15
Rejean,
Sorry for your loss. Some must be salvagable, the wire, the anchors, turnbuckles and such. How about the turbine head itself?

Bye for now.
Ralph

Rejean Hebert
7th June 2009, 19:27
The only salvage part was the wire, turnbuckle are next to the garbage can may need then around the lodge. ************( NOTE Has to be forge one )***********
Turbine head 75% right-off only think still good was the two matel disc with the magnet.
Trailer hub shaft was bent bearing broken.
Almost all back together with a bigger 2500 lb hub. The stator 18 coil 9 phase are to be set next time out still at the mine right now.

Rejean

Rejean Hebert
20th June 2009, 12:47
New blabe has too many wood defect
will take to long to turn it into a plug to firberglass then into a new set of three.
Looking at a 106' ARE 5" Tilt-up Tower or MonoPole
Look at WindMax 21" or 26' blabe anybody out there with a running set
are their any good for the $800.00 to $2000.00 their want for them.
I check some of the old post need updates Thank
Or should I continue with my blade plug to firberglass ??????????

Rejean

Stewart Corman
20th June 2009, 14:50
Regean,
There have been several threads here and on Otherpower discussing Chinese blades from the two companies in Texas.... most not complimentary

It is one thing to spend <$100 for a set of 10 footers, but you are talking serious $ for something that is unproven and poorly documented.

We have also had several threads by Dave B on his original 18footer with wooden GOE222 profile blades made by Royal:

http://royalfabrication.com/custom.htm

they have performance charts and good modeling software
I have met with Dave Moller and he knows his blade fabrication (choose ash).
He can make almost any length blade for you, since it is being "carved" with molding knives on a customized planar/molder.
Your performance could match the Jacobs which were made since the 30's with 6" cord wooden blades up to 15feet long (30' diam) until just a few years ago.

BTW, Jerry Ball was making something similar in Ontario... don't know if his shop is still running... contact Mario Castro on this site to find out

Contact Dave at Royal directly to get a quote and jawbone on blade pitch vs performance for your wind conditionbs ..he can give you any reasonable angle

check out his performance page:
http://royalfabrication.com/performance.htm

IMHO, I don't think you can go very far wrong with them.

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott