PDA

View Full Version : Turbine With Shroud

Joe Blake
14th December 2008, 02:56
http://www.gizmag.com/flodesign-high-efficiency-wind-turbine-based-on-jet-engine-technology/10556/

Joe

Ric Murphy
15th December 2008, 06:50
Joe,
Interesting design.
I've often wondered why some type of a "funnel" couldn't be used on a turbine to capture additional wind and force it thru the rotor. Even more interesting is the rear portion that helps "pull" more wind thru.
But the most interesting part was the link I found at the bottom of the article http://windconcernsontario.wordpress.com
I spent some time yesterday reading a few of the articles and boy are there ever a lot of anti wind folks in our area. Some of their concerns seem valid. As a wind turbine owner I guess I would consider myself pro wind. However there are many differences between "commercial" wind projects and "personal" systems so you be the judge.
Ric

Rob Beckers
15th December 2008, 07:58
Looks cool, but somehow I don't think we'll see a commercially successful shrouded turbine... :wacko:

The one claim in there of "half the cost" is very dubious. They increase power output at considerable expense. The alternative for the shroud would be to simply increase the blade diameter. Also costly, but likely far less so than their solution. At the end of the day it's simply about how many square-meter (or feet) the machine intercepts.

-RoB-

Maureen Anderson
16th December 2008, 16:06
Joe,
Interesting design.
I've often wondered why some type of a "funnel" couldn't be used on a turbine to capture additional wind and force it thru the rotor. Even more interesting is the rear portion that helps "pull" more wind thru.
But the most interesting part was the link I found at the bottom of the article http://windconcernsontario.wordpress.com
I spent some time yesterday reading a few of the articles and boy are there ever a lot of anti wind folks in our area. Some of their concerns seem valid. As a wind turbine owner I guess I would consider myself pro wind. However there are many differences between "commercial" wind projects and "personal" systems so you be the judge.
Ric

Thanks for visiting our site, Ric. Yes, being most rural residents many of our biggest supporters have their homes powered by personal wind power and/or solar. This makes perfect sense and allows people to be less dependent on the grid. Industrial wind power on the other hand is a completely different animal.

Why doesn't the government spend billions to allow people to equip their houses with personal wind and solar? Instead, these billions of subsidy dollars are going to mostly foreign large energy companies to erect these huge structures wherever they can get away with it, often just meters away from family homes.

What we have found in Ontario that once a wind company comes in and the neighbourhood is turned into a giant electrical plant, the company starts buying up the homes of those who complain on the condition they sign a gag order and move their workers in. I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory or something, but we have the real estate documentation in hand. Entire areas in communities like Melancthon and Amarath have been made uninhabitable.

The Ontario government has not conducted one single environmental assessment on any wind project ever built. Rather, a developer writes up a summary of why everything is hunky dory, the government accepts it without review and that's that. No consideration for sensitive wildlife areas, communities or migration routes. This is rather like the fox doing a safety inspection on the hen house.

More and more health studies are coming out every month around the world stating setbacks from home should be at least 2 Km. The Ontario government is forcing these turbines as little as 250 meters from homes. The project in my area has two elementary schools within 1 km.

Before you attack me and start calling me names, please take the time to watch a few short videos and read up on what is happening in rural Ontario. http:/windconcernsontario.wordpress.com (http://windconcernsontario.wordpress.com)

Also watch W5 on Dec 27th when this whole wind industry mess will be exposed finally by the media.

Thanks for letting me post. :bigsmile:

Sylvain Carrier
22nd December 2008, 17:08
Hi Maureen,

I will not attack you or start calling you names, I am more civilized than that. But I understand your concerns but do not agree with all of them but you have the right to your opinion. But I have to ask what other options do we have? Our society does not want to stop increasing demand and expect everything without negative impacts to the environment.... i.e. 2500 sq/ft homes being the norm with three bathrooms etc..etc... for a family of four give me a break!! and I could go on and I sure you could too. Until mankind wakes up and reduces demands and expectations what do you suggest is done to meet this increase? Please don't tell me nuclear is the new environmentally green option cause every time I hear this I feel sick....

P.S. Thanks for let me know about the documentary I will be watching it for sure and have a Merry Christmas!

sly