PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Turbines "Breezy 5.5"

Laurie Forbes
23rd March 2008, 16:45
Anyone know anything about this outfit? They claim one can connect home brew grid excited induction motors directly to the grid (similar to large commercial turbines I guess). They mention customers in Saskatchewan so I guess their claims apply to at least some parts of Canada as well.

Seems to be an interesting concept - grid tie induction motors and blades designed to stall out or some-such thing to limit overspeed (relatively inexpensive and easy to build).

I don't have contrary information but I'm a bit surprised the power companies would go for this, the safety aspect supposedly being dependent on the induction motor automatically ceasing to generate when grid voltage is absent (cannot "islanding" possibly keep the motor/alternator live?)

Mark Parsons
24th March 2008, 13:08
Hi Laurie,

I did some preliminary research on the Breezy concept.

They monitor the grid and disconnect from the grid and brake the turbine to a halt in the event of grid loss. I assume this satisfies the local power utility safety concerns.

They pulse the grid to synch back the motor upon run-up. Must provide a hell of a torque shock.

They've had some machines operating now for a few years. Any experiential feedback out there?

Regards,
Mark

Spanky Tree
25th April 2009, 07:31
Good day!
I have a Breezy 5.5. On the prarie turbines website it's #25.
It is everything they say, this one has only been running since last november but it can and has taken a real beating. 65 mph winds were the highest so far here and thats measured at 23 ft.
The torque shock is evident with a "Thump" when it comes on line. The main thing I did wrong is put it to close to the ground. Prarie turbines says over and over to get it up in clean air. We are limited being right on the top of a hill to the footprint of the guy wires and can only go 45ft. REAL DIRTY AIR.
But all of their claims are true. 17 mph and up REALLY makes the meter spin backward!
Randy

Steven Fahey
12th May 2009, 14:26
I'm aware of the Breezy but not familiar with it, but what I can add is that there are AMSI/UL standards that electric equipment must meet to be acceptable for grid-tie. If you find out what Breezy has done in this direction, you could then take that info to Epcor/Fortis and ask if that satisfies them.

Spanky Tree
12th May 2009, 16:31
Correct!
The biggest thing for the electric companies is to insure that it doesn't produce back into the grid while the grid is down and some lineman is working on it.
The Breezy requires the grid to run. If the grid goes down Breezy shuts down real simple.
Randy

Spanky Tree
12th May 2009, 19:18
One other thing on the Breezy, this last weekend I put in a "soft start" relay for the main connect. With a one second delay it completely eliminated the torque shock, or the thumping you hear when it comes on line. The guys at Breezy have been testing for a while and sold me one of these relays. REAL COOL.
Randy

Stewart Corman
13th May 2009, 07:36
Spanky,
I am familiar with the Breezy web site, but never found anyone who was willing to talk about specifics or performance. I have looked at your photo posting there and the few comments you have made and I am impressed.

Would it be possible for you to post a new thread with attached photos on the basic design and your implementation of the specifics. It is supposedly a "homemade" project, but they sell many of the components ...can you detail what you bought vs what you created.
I am particularly interested in the blade implementation ie length, cord, profile, thickness,twist, weight, finish, and construction and the various weights of the hardware which appear to be very heavy.

thx,
Stew Corman from sunny Endicott