PDA

View Full Version : Blade Spec Calculator (enhanced!)

Stewart Corman
1st March 2008, 21:48
Well folks, I have been perturbed for quite a while about the fact that the old Jacobs, the Bergey Excel and now DaveB's 18 footer "Wincharger" behave so decently in spite of the fact that they all have constant cord width. I think I just found out why!

I knew my original xls file had bogus simplistic equations to calculate lift and drag, so I bit the bullet and spent some real time playing mental masterbation.

I cannot attach my latest incarnation of the calculator with the enhancement of a double regression curve fitting to the JavaFoil polar plot data because it is too large to be uploaded here

if you want a working version,
try to download xls from here:
http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/7526/turbine_RE_.xls

For those not into the math:
A simplistic overview is that for a given airfoil shape, like the NACA4425 I chose, JavaFoil performs an analysis of lift (Cl) and drag (Cd) for a set of AOA at each of different Reynold's numbers ( related to speed across an airfoil width). Since my caculator lets you plug in turbine diameter, TSR and WS ..the numbers for AOA and RE# calculated are never what is exactly on the chart ..so a math function has to "guesstimate" the inbetween numbers.

there is a screen shot of what it looks like at bottom here
there is also a diagram of what real "lift" is, and it is my bone of contention that L/D ratio doesn't tell the right story ..there is an angle involved here and it is NOT the AOA, but rather the incident angle of the apparent wind.
Both the lift and drag get "projected" onto the horizontal axis which is the direction of rotation. This has been added to my spreadsheet as "net lift" where the equation is on that chart as below.
Net lift = L sin(phi) -D cos(phi) where phi = appar wind Angle

Any lift that is greater than zero, will give torque to the turbine rotor.
This is NOT true for airplane calculations to keep an airplane from falling out of the sky. Soooooo, if you look at the chart numbers, you can compare lift at five different stations along the blade for three configurations:
1) 3:1 taper non-twist 3 to 9 inches
2) constant cord 6 inches
3) 3:1 taper with 12 degrees of twist

if you look at the "net lift" numbers, you see that twist lowers drag near root, but kills lift near the tip

constant cord is actually the best here, because if lift is a force, then force x lever arm = torque and it has more lift near the tip

quick note: the twist section allows you to choose any linear twist ...make it zero and you get the same as the top section

I have NOT played around with this long enough to fully determine under what conditions each will be a better performer, but in low WS, low RE# becomes a problem as lift Cl starts falling fast ...so a tapered blade is probably the most advantageous for large mills in low WS

Caveat Emptor - There may be errors in my calcs...and with this dataset, you can't have RE# higher than 300K or so, or the approximations go haywire, so you can't throw in high WS

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Rob Beckers
2nd March 2008, 08:47
Stew, I've increased the limits for attached .xls files. You should be able to upload it now.

-RoB-

Stewart Corman
2nd March 2008, 11:47
Rob,
Thanks, I was going to ask you about these limits.
For now, I am going to leave the link to Otherpower for a simply reason:
their data base is name oriented, so I can upload a corrected version with the same name, and all old links will still work. In yours, I'd have to upload new versions with new tags, and people reading old threads would be seeing a backlevel xls spreadsheet.

Note: any number that is in red is customizable and you will see the effect in all the calculations ... play with it to see what happens

OT- if anyone has more expertise than I do in working with Excel, please let me know how I can make the regressions more elegant ( reads simplistic!).

To my knowledge, Excel does NOT allow one to build a custom function ala in Fortran you make a subroutine ...pass variables and return calculations.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

UPDATE: yes, I'll correct myself here ...Excel does have "User Defined Function" which acts like the old subroutines, and uses Visual Basic to do the math. I will pursue when time permits, but it might be more complicated than it is worth.

Note: I have updated the calculator to include a "normalized torque" which takes the "net lift" and multiplies it against the length of the lever arm at each station ...then an "avg torque" is reported to show a comparison of fixed vs taper vs twist ....torque x rpm gives actual power delivered to the generator

Also, if anyone wants to see changes to my xls, please explain your reasoning

Stew

Jeff Birkle
3rd March 2008, 11:47
Hi Stew.
I have been studying-fabricating blade design for the last year.
Is there any point where the strength of the blades dictates some of the parameters of design? For example in theory, if the Betz limit for a 10 foot machine in 26 MPH has a potential 4000 watts power output, would the blades be able to handle the stresses? or would shape design be secondary to stress design?
Jeff

Stewart Corman
3rd March 2008, 14:47
Jeff,
Is there any point where the strength of the blades dictates some of the parameters of design? this had been discussed a ways back for my tubular steel spars:
http://www.greenpowertalk.org/showthread.php?t=4037

more recently on Otherpower, Dave B did a real life destructive test on one of his wooden 18' constant cord "Wincharger" blades by hanging weights and seeing when it fails:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/2/22/91143/9537

The inexpensive fiberglass blades on eBay would never break under load conditions

If you need any more info than above ..we can field more questions.

if the Betz limit for a 10 foot machine in 26 MPH has a potential 4000 watts power output, would the blades be able to handle the stresses?4KW ..I doubt it

if you use my other calculator:
http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/7526/windpower.xls

and plug in 26mph/10 foooter and look at TSR=6, you'll see that the total power in the wind is about 7KW and rpm is < 500 ...all seems OK to me, but that said, most commercial turbines function at less than Cp=0.20 at high wind speeds ..best fixed pitch efficiency is usually around 17->20mph and Cp= 0.35

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Chris Martin
23rd September 2008, 20:46
Stew,

Did you ever run your blade speed calculator on those 72" windmax blades?

Chris