PDA

View Full Version : Wanted ceramic magnets

Mike Gibson
8th August 2007, 14:28
I am looking for a good source of ceramic magnets. I need 16 (1.875x0.75x0.375 thick. If anyone can help or has any i would apprecate it

Thanks Mike

Rob Beckers
8th August 2007, 20:17
Hi Mike,

Do they have to be ceramics? If you can use neos they'd be pretty easy to get. Most places have stopped selling ceramic/ferrite magnets since neos came out.

-Rob-

Mike Gibson
9th August 2007, 03:38
They don't have to be ceramic .I was looking at a old web sight and that was what they were calling for. I don't see why neos wouldn't work as well

Rob Beckers
9th August 2007, 07:43
This is a good place to buy neos. (http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_37)

According to a Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet), neos are 18x stronger than ceramic by volume. So you may be able to use smaller neodymium magnets to replace the ceramics in the design.

-Rob-

Tim McMurran
28th May 2009, 09:24
This is a good place to buy neos. (http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_37)

According to a Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet), neos are 18x stronger than ceramic by volume. So you may be able to use smaller neodymium magnets to replace the ceramics in the design.

-Rob-

Sorry for the hijack here, but on the subject of magnets. What would you suggest I replace the original magnets inside of the Whisper turbine with? They are currently the ceramic I believe, and not all that strong from what I can tell just with basic pull tests. NEO's I have been told are far stronger and would they not cause the turbine to stall out?

Mario De Castris
28th May 2009, 12:17
Hello Tim,

Sorry for not jumping in earlier and give you some help on your whisper, I have so many jobs on the go right now that I barely have time to read the postings. In regard to your magnets have a look how many you need and if you can take them out and replace them himself, I have a least one or two damaged drums that I can see how many magnets can be salvaged.

Mario

Tim McMurran
28th May 2009, 12:59
Hello Tim,

Sorry for not jumping in earlier and give you some help on your whisper, I have so many jobs on the go right now that I barely have time to read the postings. In regard to your magnets have a look how many you need and if you can take them out and replace them himself, I have a least one or two damaged drums that I can see how many magnets can be salvaged.

Mario

Hi Mario

Thank you for your reply to the magnet issue. I will let you know what I have done as a temp fix to the problem. I took JB Weld and the broken chips of the magnets that I was able to slavage and crush them into the mixed JB Weld. I was then able to apply this mixture into the cracked, chipped and broken magnets. Many hours of sanding, then a few applications of marine varnish over the entire can and magnet surfaces. Replaced the forged bolts that broke with stainless, and now will put it back up to see how long that holds out.

I do not plan on it lasting for much longer then a few months, but till I am able to come up with a better solution it shall to do the trick.

Currently 5 out of the 10 magnets show different degrees of damage. From slght chips to cracked in two with slight gaps showing.

Clearly I would need to remove all magnets, clean the can out properly and obtain the proper glue or epoxy to replace them for longer life. Right now I am working towards a DIY weather proofing for the Whisper. Not being from Newfoundland, rather from Alberta marnie conditions were not an issue for me. I felt the turbine should have been fine since it was not exposed to direct spray. I see I was wrong. Our weekend home is close to 1km from the Atlantic, and I did notice a white powder/salt build up on the inside of the case. I have since cleaned all this out and applied the marine varnish to the entire unit. I hope this will seal it up a little better and offer a general level of protection.

I do see that I will need to make close inspections on the order of every two to three months from here on out to ensure no additional problems.