PDA

View Full Version : anemometer tower

Brian Bruns
10th December 2006, 21:53
I purchased a Inspeed wind speed data logging kit, and need to know what size tubing or pipe is needed to mount this anemometer at a 60' height, and if a single teir or double teir guy wire set is needed? Any do-it-yourselfers advice or links are appreciated.

Brian Bruns

Wilco Vercoelen
11th December 2006, 20:15
We would recommend guy wires on two different heights, on 30' and 53'.
The pole can be 2" schedule pipe 40.

A cheaper way is, get an used 60' tv tower which a lot of people want to get rid off, just drive around in your neigbourhood. You can attached the tower to your house and use top guy wires (aircraft wire) to extra secure the tower. It is easier to climb when needed (on a calm day). Place the tower into a 2' hole in the ground.:)

Chuck Patenaude
15th December 2006, 18:18
If you are in an area where the ground freezes, you might want to go a bit deeper. around here, that anemometer would probably frost heave out by spring.

Brian Bruns
18th January 2007, 13:16
Just wanted to let you know I have the Inspeed up and running. I didn't go as high as first intended, but installed at 35' for now. I used a single guy layer and is working out fine. The computer logs the max., min., and average onto a speedsheet, so will work from that to get daily and monthly data figures. Once a good data base is established, I plan to go to the 60' height so I can compare figures at this site. Thanks for your help gang!

Brian

Rob Beckers
18th January 2007, 14:19
Congrats with the anemometer Brian!
I was looking Inspeed's site, and they are reasonable prices, especially if you can use a PC to do the datalogging. I'll keep them in mind for people asking for a windspeed datalogger.

When you have some time, please post a picture of your installation. Also please let us know how it's working out with the Inspeed. I for one am interested.

By the way, what wind turbine do you have in mind for putting up there after evaluating the wind speed?

-Rob-