PDA

View Full Version : overvoltage on a aurora 6000

Cor van Houtum
9th February 2011, 16:21
would it be possible to put a big relays in the dc input line from the aurora and steer this relays over the ALARM output that is standard in the aurora ?

who has expierence with this

Cor

Cor van Houtum
10th February 2011, 03:31
not nice tesla to use our site as a commercial

cor

Ralph Day
10th February 2011, 05:17
We've been spammed! Rob will take out the garbage when he wakes...unless he's on a roof installing panels :amazed:

-20C in Ottawa today, stay home and stay warm Rob!

Ralph

Rob Beckers
10th February 2011, 06:52
Not installing much right now, though site surveys continue and that does involve crawling on roofs (if there's not too much snow and it's not too steep). Only 3 more months until spring!

Unfortunately it takes less time for these spammers to post a dozen messages than it takes me to remove them. I have to find a better way to deal with them...

Cor, I don't believe the Aurora gives an alarm/message on overvoltage. It just goes kaboom. Even if it did, you would have to use a latching relay or something like it, since the alarm would stop as soon as it disconnects the input. What's wrong with the Omron relays you've been using for a while now? As for switching DC; it's tricky since DC arcs don't self-extinguish as AC does. So switching it takes special relays that cost a whole lot more.

-RoB-

Cor van Houtum
11th February 2011, 03:33
nothing wrong with the omron but the less parts used the less parts can break down.

and reading the alarm function in the manual suggests that it must be possible to use
in combination with a normaly open relays or a circuit tripper

when in case of failure it can light a warning light or blow the horn then it can also disconnect it self thrue a relays.

i will test this and give a unit overvoltage !!
bring it to the point that it say's overvoltage i mean.
We can do this easy with a separate power supply

Cor

Rob Brunet
12th February 2011, 12:59
When the Aurora goes into over-voltage, it opens a circuit path to a diversion load. Power-One recommends installing a large resistor; we have used a large tank heater and this seemed to work well and was probably overkill.

The Aurora Communicator software, if running on a connected computer, sends out an email message when the over-voltage condition occurs. This is how I have dealt with the issue. However, one thing to be wary of is if the over-voltage condition occurs due to a storm, it can often take down the power lines, which will shut off the computer or the router and impact communications.

I think the relay idea is still best if you want a local alarm.

Cor van Houtum
12th February 2011, 17:50
Hello rob,
Thanks for your comment

but i am allready past that station

The aurora wind interface where you are refuring on is not a usefull device with a bigger wind generator.
this thing is basic nothing more then a rectifier with a small igbt that switches a dumpload on a voltage of 530 volts dc

these things burn out in seconds when you get real high winds
even loose the grid does not connect the dumpload !!

Nice try from power-one but this is not the security we are looking for

cor