PDA

View Full Version : Most efficient Wind Turbine for low wind speed areas

Giorgos Bartzokas
2nd February 2011, 20:18
Greetings. I am a new member from greece. I'm currently working on a reasearch for my Insitut for the most efficient wind turbines for low speed areas.
It's getting hard for me to find out a site, which decribes the characteristics for every type of wind turbine. The information i want to now is the start speed and the cut in speed. I would also like to find cp - λ diagrams, and wind speed- power produced too.
Can somebody help???

Ben Colla
3rd February 2011, 02:19
That is because the information you are looking for hasn't been collated.

There isn't any point in looking for information on low wind speed turbines, because there is so little power it's not worth the effort. In greece, if you want renewable energy, go for solar panels.

Low wind is low power.

Rob Beckers
3rd February 2011, 07:12
Hi Griorgos,

Welcome to the forum!
I second Ben's comments. In addition, what do you mean by "low wind speed"? Is this a site that has an annual average wind speed of 3.5 - 4 m/s? You have to assign some numbers and narrow down what you're looking for. There's no point in looking at cut-in speeds, they are meaningless numbers. Wind turbines do not produce meaningful amounts of energy on an annual basis around their cut-in wind speed, there's too little power there and the turbine spends too little time there (if it did you just put a turbine in a horrible spot). Are you looking for grid-tie or battery charging? When you look at performance it is generally best to just throw out the manufacturer's data and simply calculate annual average energy production based on swept area, energy in the wind, and Weibull distribution. Just assume a reasonable overall efficiency (around 30% for grid-tie after the inverter is about right). Your numbers will be far more accurate than those the manufacturer published.

-RoB-