PDA

View Full Version : question on hydraulic rams

Ian Moriarty
17th October 2010, 08:11
i am considering useing a hydraulic ram to raise and lower my tower due to
a few problems. one too tight a space for a gin pole and two i would like it to
be a one man job. it would be great just raise and lower the tower when i want
rather waiting on freinds. i am not talking of a huge tower here 9mtrs. my question
is does any body know if there is any company/person making tower lifts for the small
diy wind turbines. or even if you could point me in the direction of two way hand pumped
hydraulic ram suitible for this job and fabricate it my self.has any body else done this?

regards ian

l

John Szegda
17th October 2010, 14:25
Hello Ian,

I had a 900W Turbine mounted on a 3.5" pipe. I bought an engine hoist from Harbor Freight and welded the boom under the pipe. You have to shim it a bit, because the cylinder throw will not extend enough to bring the tower vertical.

John

Ian Moriarty
18th October 2010, 13:27
hi john, thanks for the idear yes i can see how that could work. would you put up a picture of it. i think it would be worth seeing im sure i am not the only one that would
like to see it. could get alot of people out of trouble in lifting and lowering their tower.

thanks again ian

John Szegda
19th October 2010, 09:58
Hello Ian,

I sold the unit to someone in the mid west. Unfortunately I never took a picture, because I seldom take pictures. I called the person I sold the Turbine, but he has not gotten back to me. As soon as I get the pictures, I will post them.

John