PDA

View Full Version : Help with a few Questions

Steve Tag
29th August 2010, 20:51
Hi, my name is steve I am a junior in highschool I go to trade school for electrical trades i learn more about the actual electrical wiring in our homes. I am having trouble picking a career path which ever way I go I am going to stick with it an do it for the rest of my life hopefully.

Recently I have been thinking about going to college to learn about designing "Green" power sources wind mills and hydro power mainly. I assume many of you have careers in this line of work. What kind of college courses would i take do colleges offer specific classes for this? I dont know what path i really want to take though. I am either going to be a union electrician or go for it and go to college.

Tom Rent
30th August 2010, 05:38
Hi Steve,

I am a retired electrical engineer. I think going to college will provide you many more opportunities and provide you more insight into specific specialties. Even a 2-year degree is good, you can always add to that.

For energy careers, understanding physics and electricity/electronics are key. Fluid dynmics is another course area I would recommend.

Good luck!

Steve Tag
30th August 2010, 23:31
well I was always interested in physics class. electron theory and the science behind how electricity works fascinates me too. We studied generators in my electrical class for a while and that was definitely my favorite section now that i look back. I am really into perpetual motion too.

Steven Fahey
9th September 2010, 11:19
well I was always interested in physics class. electron theory and the science behind how electricity works fascinates me too. We studied generators in my electrical class for a while and that was definitely my favorite section now that i look back...

Great! I felt the same way coming out of college.

...I am really into perpetual motion too.

Aw... you really had me going there.

Unsolicited advice: Please don't waste your life. Make a conscious decision that you will believe in the laws of nature, since you haven't yet learned much about them. More time in school is definitely in order for you.

Forgive my attitude! But what you wrote is offensive, but I will give you enough respect to debate what you write, instead of ignoring it. If I was a forum moderator this would be your warning - any further attempts to discuss a perpetual motion fantasy would get you banned. I'll leave it in the hands of the real operators of this forum to make their own decisions on how to react.

Russ Bailey
9th September 2010, 12:42
Right Steve - Perpetual motion is a rather silly concept that along with over unity means the writer is either 1) less than serious or 2) a scammer trying to steal money.

There are thousands of this type of schemes on the net today.