PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Wind Turbines For Residential Use

Danny Oakes
6th July 2010, 11:41
What is the best power generator to use for a vertical wind turbine for residential use?

I'm constructing a wind turbine and would like to put a high output power generator on it.

Is there a power generator I can put on a roof top wind turbine that would generate an average of 2kw?

Thanks for your advice, Danny.

Rob Beckers
7th July 2010, 06:53
Hi Danny,

First, welcome to Green Power Talk!
It's tough to find a proper alternator for VAWTs, since they tend to be low(er) RPM. Heck, it's hard to find an alternator for HAWTs too. You can take a look at the Ginlong alternators, they make various models, for various power levels and voltages (do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of posts about them). More than likely you'll need some type of transmission to go to a higher RPM for the alternator vs. the rotor. Please let us know how your project progresses!

-RoB-

Russ Bailey
3rd September 2010, 14:09
There is a new (for me) report on the Mariah Windspire of testing done in France - published in late 2009.

The report refutes production claims made by Windward Eng in supposed 3rd party tests.

Quote, 'Based on its measured performance, SEPEN estimates that Mariah's Windspire will produce only two-thirds the energy advertised by the manufacturer (1,370 kWh/yr compared to 2,100 kWh/yr) at an average wind speed of 5.5 m/s.' end of quote

http://www.wind-works.org/SmallTurbines/MariahAnotherPerformanceReportonWindspireVAWT.html

Steven Fahey
9th September 2010, 11:08
Russ,
Keep digging. There are other reports on just how bad it is. Check out the NREL Small Wind Testing center's reports.

Happy Mark
24th September 2010, 14:43
Mark
Hi Danny
This is my first post on the forum, we have the same problem as you and have spent a lot of time looking for the correct PMG . As Rob mentioned the low rpm does not help, depending on your TSR and diameter the Ginlong ones might work, but from our testing we have found out that the best power output is at 50% of the unloaded speed so if the generators output is 2 Kw at 150 rpm we think that the best unloaded rotor speed should be 300rpm I may be incorrect but must power torque curves point in this direction, although the faster the wind blows the faster the rotor goes round and the torque goes up more. Anyway we looked at this Chinese company who claim to have very low rpm generators. The link is below.
But be warned there are some questions to be asked regarding their claims on their torque and speed curve that they sent me.

Ps: looks like a very good Forum nice friendly people.

Mark
www.jinfanenergy.com