PDA

View Full Version : Exmork Grid Tie Controller

John Szegda
15th June 2010, 22:39
Anyone have an Exmork FKJ-A3 Grid Tie Controller. I purchased one to go along with a
2kw Exmork Turbine. Unfortunately, the instructions are not very clear. I want to make sure it is wired correctly before I panel mount the unit.

John

Dan Lenox
16th June 2010, 08:06
John,

I assume that you do know that the Exmork grid-tie controller is not UL approved? At least at last check it wasn't.

So getting it approved by your local utility company could be an issue for grid tie.

Worst case is that you wire up separate panel, switch over household circuits and not grid-tie it.

Check with your local utility before connecting to the grid, if they get wind of it they *could* disconnect you. Making reconnection a long process...

Dan Lenox

John Szegda
16th June 2010, 09:03
Hi Dan,

I understand the UL requirement. What the UL people are concerned about is public safety not so much with functionality. I spoke with the local UL branch I dealt with and they can give Me a one time certification for this unit. For a testing fee. Just hope it does not blow up on the bench. The reason I purchased this unit, is to go with the Aurora Inverter. I read allot of negative responses to there Interface Units.

John

Dan Lenox
16th June 2010, 09:45
John,

Ok - Just wanted to be sure that you knew what you might be up against if you went with the 'standard' Exmork grid-tie unit.

Glad to hear that you are going with Aurora. Hope you purchased it from our host!

When I went grid-tied I was the 2nd in my area and 3 people from the utility company came over to inspect my installation.

I had to put in a disconnect to the utility and it had to be done and inspected by master electrician. This disconnect is for the use by the utility company, if they are in the area and doing service to the lines then they optionally can disconnect me (without notice) and lock the panel.

I had to show the utility people that the inverter would not put out power to the lines if the grid went down (UL approved or not!).

The previous installation in my area had been a Skystream (direct synchronous grid-tie), and I had a 'typical' 17' axial flux turbine, so the first question out of their mouths was "If the grid goes down, your wind turbine stops turning - Right?".

Most of the time that they spent there I had to 'educate' them seeing that net-metering was so new in our area. Had my grid tie inverter not performed properly they would have disconnected me and left me that way...

Dan Lenox

John Szegda
23rd June 2010, 20:42
Hello Dan,

I have been busy but wanted to tell you my story. When I got into Turbines I did not know much about them. I wanted to build one but knew I didn't have the time. So by reading post on this Site and others I eventually had enough knowledge to install a small 900w China built unit. I got all the permits to grid tie the system. As you mentioned your required to install safe guards like the outside kill switch. One evening we had a storm move thru my town and it caused allot of damage to trees and power lines. That night we lost power and a Line man came to my house to inform us they would be working on the pole that Fed my house. I asked him if he wanted Me to shut the main switch to kill any possibility the Wind Turbine would generate electricity. He was surprised I had a Turbine. He told me they do not have a list or training to deal with Wind or solar systems. Three weeks after this happened, I got a letter from the Utility Co. indicating all the repair personnel will be given a list of people that have Renewable Energy Systems within there work area and given the proper training on all RE.

John

Edgar Paternina
29th June 2010, 07:46
Hello Dan,

I have been busy but wanted to tell you my story. When I got into Turbines I did not know much about them. I wanted to build one but knew I didn't have the time. So by reading post on this Site and others I eventually had enough knowledge to install a small 900w China built unit. I got all the permits to grid tie the system. As you mentioned your required to install safe guards like the outside kill switch. One evening we had a storm move thru my town and it caused allot of damage to trees and power lines. That night we lost power and a Line man came to my house to inform us they would be working on the pole that Fed my house. I asked him if he wanted Me to shut the main switch to kill any possibility the Wind Turbine would generate electricity. He was surprised I had a Turbine. He told me they do not have a list or training to deal with Wind or solar systems. Three weeks after this happened, I got a letter from the Utility Co. indicating all the repair personnel will be given a list of people that have Renewable Energy Systems within there work area and given the proper training on all RE.

John

Hello John,

Just let me add please a little bit to your story. I have already installed 2kw grid-tie system from another chineese manufacturer as it was impossible at that time to obtain from Exmork the corresponding Power vs DCV curve for programming the Aurora inverter; Exmork was my first try. After two months of working during a very high wind the controller from the chineese manufacturer failed and I had to replace two mosfets, I didn't receive any help from them, but then I learned almost everything of how to buid a wind turbine generator. The Aurora inverter is a very good one, except that its communication software is very poor, normally I have to complete the data from my Windlog from Rainwise. With the Utility I didn't have any problem; I live in Colombia. South America.

One thing I have concluded from the data obtained during almost three months. minute by minute, is that high winds are not permanent and so they don't contribute too much for the wind generation, so the controllers should be manufactured to protect the system from high winds!

If I can be of any help I am willing to do it!

My best regards

Edgar

Osku Possu
1st July 2010, 23:30
Hi.

As I understand, this Exmork grid-tie controller is just a controller with the rectifiers, dump load, generator kill switch etc.
It sits between the generator and the grid-tie inverter so that the grid-tie inverter would not get too high voltages from the generator, and it is NOT a grid-tie inverter.

Exmork does NOT have or sell grid-tie inverters. I have asked them a few weeks ago.

As I have understood, all (?) UL-listed grid-tie inverters, for example the Aurora, already have a built-in system that disconnects them from the grid immediately when the grid goes down.

This Exmork grid-tie controller gives the grid-tie inverter the DC it wants, also it stops the generator immediately when the grid goes down and also when the generator voltage is so high that the dumpload can not handle the extra wattage.

So should it be UL-listed too?

Edgar Paternina
3rd July 2010, 07:52
Hi.

As I understand, this Exmork grid-tie controller is just a controller with the rectifiers, dump load, generator kill switch etc.
It sits between the generator and the grid-tie inverter so that the grid-tie inverter would not get too high voltages from the generator, and it is NOT a grid-tie inverter.

Exmork does NOT have or sell grid-tie inverters. I have asked them a few weeks ago.

As I have understood, all (?) UL-listed grid-tie inverters, for example the Aurora, already have a built-in system that disconnects them from the grid immediately when the grid goes down.

This Exmork grid-tie controller gives the grid-tie inverter the DC it wants, also it stops the generator immediately when the grid goes down and also when the generator voltage is so high that the dumpload can not handle the extra wattage.

So should it be UL-listed too?

Hello Everyone,

Yes, I agree the Exmork grid-tie controller seems to be a very good one, as it has a good protection when the DC voltage is over 400dcv, or else when there is high winds, which according to my own experience is the most important thing in a controller. On the other hand it was Mr. James Yen from Exmork the one who recommended me the Aurora inverter, as they didn't sell inverter, it was said last year.

I really don't see any problem in the Aurora working with that Exmork controller.

Best regards

Edgar

John Szegda
3rd July 2010, 13:16
Hello Edgar and Osku,

It is nice meeting you guys. Yes the FKJ-A3 Controller seems to be well built, from a layman's point of view like me. My problem is I bought two 2kw Turbine and two Grid Tie Controllers to match with them. I read allot on this forum about controllers and decided to buy this one to go with the 3.6 Aurora Inverter. My problem is when my Electrician looked at these unit, he found a wire going to one relay was not wired the same in each controller.
I sent James a picture and his Engineer said they both look OK. Why would anyone wire the same model differently. So until this issue is resolved, the Electrician will not mount the box on the panel. If you guys have an operating unit, could you send a picture so I can get this unit mounted.

Thanks, John

Edgar Paternina
4th July 2010, 08:07
Hello Edgar and Osku,

It is nice meeting you guys. Yes the FKJ-A3 Controller seems to be well built, from a layman's point of view like me. My problem is I bought two 2kw Turbine and two Grid Tie Controllers to match with them. I read allot on this forum about controllers and decided to buy this one to go with the 3.6 Aurora Inverter. My problem is when my Electrician looked at these unit, he found a wire going to one relay was not wired the same in each controller.
I sent James a picture and his Engineer said they both look OK. Why would anyone wire the same model differently. So until this issue is resolved, the Electrician will not mount the box on the panel. If you guys have an operating unit, could you send a picture so I can get this unit mounted.

Thanks, John

Hi John,

To be sure we are talking about the same controller, is the one in the attachment your controller?

Another question is do you want to connect the two controllers in parallel and then to the 3.6 Aurora inverter?

My best regards

Edgar

John Szegda
4th July 2010, 12:09
Hello Edgar,

That is not the Controller I have. I attached the unit I have, but it is in Chines and I don't read the language. I do not plan to parallel the Controllers. I bought them as backup in case the primary fails.

John

Edgar Paternina
4th July 2010, 13:41
Hello Edgar,

That is not the Controller I have. I attached the unit I have, but it is in Chines and I don't read the language. I do not plan to parallel the Controllers. I bought them as backup in case the primary fails.

John

Hello John,

They look exactly the same, just look the attachment, mine is in english, but as you are not planning to parallel them, just a back up I'm sorry I don't get really what the problem is.

Regards

Edgar

John Szegda
4th July 2010, 17:33
Hello Edgar,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Like I told you my concern is one wire that is connected to a different post on one relay. I used to fly airplanes for a living, not wiring panels. So my expertise is not Electronics like you. Your Controller is the same as the one I have, but why does you schematic show only one relay. Can you take a picture of the relay inside your Controller, so I can see which one of my unit are wired correctly.

Thanks,
John

Edgar Paternina
4th July 2010, 18:42
Hello Edgar,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Like I told you my concern is one wire that is connected to a different post on one relay. I used to fly airplanes for a living, not wiring panels. So my expertise is not Electronics like you. Your Controller is the same as the one I have, but why does you schematic show only one relay. Can you take a picture of the relay inside your Controller, so I can see which one of my unit are wired correctly.

Thanks,
John

Hello John

You mean the second relay in the attachment? I think this relay is left in my diagram but it's ok, as it is the one that is open or close when the grid is off or on, this is the additional protection of this controller.

Regards

Edgar

John Szegda
4th July 2010, 20:16
Hello Edgar,

I have another question. The Controller has a Grid Power AC240V connection and I think your country uses the same power we do. How did you connect 240VAC with two wires (N-L). I assume this power is taken from the main AC Panel ?

John

Edgar Paternina
5th July 2010, 05:54
Hello Edgar,

I have another question. The Controller has a Grid Power AC240V connection and I think your country uses the same power we do. How did you connect 240VAC with two wires (N-L). I assume this power is taken from the main AC Panel ?

John

Hello John,

With the Chineese can be a confusion about this. When I bought the Aurora inverter it comes with what is called split-phase, and it means single phase but three wires, LINE1, LINE2 and Neutral, and because of an imbalance in the phases, LINE1, LINE2, I had to change that split phase to single phase, which I think is what you must use, or else (LINE1, LINE2) and the neutral must not be taken into account. This is a programming of the inverter, not of the controller as its output is DCV which is received by the inverter. See the attachment. You must change too 208 to 240volts in the inverter, but if you have not bought the inverter, you can specify it in this way. Anyway split-phase is a real problem in the inverter, as if it detects an imbalance it will be put off.

Yes, the 240VAC is taken from the Main Panel, just the two live lines, L1, L2. The neutral is not necessary in this case of single phase for the inverter.

Regards

Edgar

John Szegda
5th July 2010, 10:40
Hi Edgar,

I was referring to the Controller not the Aurora. Attached is a picture of the connection I'm talking about. It is labeled GRID POWER. The manual states it has to be 240ACV. The other thing I don't understand is, if they require 240ACV, why would they wire the circuit with a 18 gauge wire.

John

Edgar Paternina
5th July 2010, 10:57
Hi Edgar,

I was referring to the Controller not the Aurora. Attached is a picture of the connection I'm talking about. It is labeled GRID POWER. The manual states it has to be 240ACV. The other thing I don't understand is, if they require 240ACV, why would they wire the circuit with a 18 gauge wire.

John

Hello John,

This GRID POWER must be the connection of the protection system with the grid voltage, see attachment, it must be a low power circuit a reason why 18 gauge wire is enough.

Regards

Edgar

John Szegda
5th July 2010, 11:25
Hi Edgar,

The manual and the schematic you have indicates 240VAC. That is not low voltage. I assume your system is up and running, how did you connect this circuit ?

John

Edgar Paternina
5th July 2010, 11:52
Hi Edgar,

The manual and the schematic you have indicates 240VAC. That is not low voltage. I assume your system is up and running, how did you connect this circuit ?

John

Hello John,

I didn't mean low voltage, but low power, which means a low ac current which is the one for the 18 gauge wire of the controller circuit that will stop it when the grid is off, so the wind turbine will be in what they call stop working status. This kind of protection in my own controller(sold by Yueniao) would have prevented its failure during very high winds on the first of February, which resulted in two Mosfets burned, which I had to replace. During that failure the grid was off and entered again immediately which seems to have caused the two Mosfets burned.

Regards

Edgar

Wang AronNingJin
12th April 2012, 03:10
John,

Your grid tie controller is provided by www.deming.com. They have not ul now.

Can you provide your wind turbine working voltage, controller pwm voltage and inverter input Dc voltage?

Also pls give us your question about the controller. I can give you some advise. if it is wiring connection problem, it will be easy.

1. First 3 wires connect with wind turbine 3 output wires; No order;

2. These two wire connect with your local utility grid power. The turbine should powered by grid power;

3. Dc output wires connect to grid tie inverter DC input wire;

4. Others connect with pwm unload box.

if the wind turbine manufactured by us, it will be ok. (www.huayaturbine.com)

Thanks!

Aron

John Szegda
12th April 2012, 12:53
I received a replacement Controller from Exmork. The unit is working great, no problems at all.

John

Wang AronNingJin
12th April 2012, 19:33
I received a replacement Controller from Exmork. The unit is working great, no problems at all.

John

Hi John,

It is good news. So if there are any question about wind turbine, controller, or system, pls contact with me. Wish i can give you more support.

Aron

www.huayaturbine.com