PDA

View Full Version : Permitted Whisper 200 Install in PA

Jim Mac
11th June 2010, 20:33
Hello, I want to share my experiences installing a Whisper 200 in this install-Log.

First I had Southwest Wind Power's Tower Engineers provide a Wet-stamp and design my footers. Then I had to get some geotechnical tests done to determine my soil type and load capacity. I went ahead and submitted all that info along with the Whisper Manual and Tower Guides. I received my Permit 2 weeks later.

I have a nice pitched hill in front of my home, So I am putting it up as high up on the hill as possible.. Excavating was a little difficult because the grade was definitely at the limit. But I found an experienced operator who was able to do it..

Wheel-barrowing cement on this hill was not too fun. I was charged extra by the Cement company for going over the time limit. But we got it in the forms..

Now the cement work is complete and I am preparing the backfill.. I ordered the tower and turbine, and I am busy getting everything else in place..

I will update this thread as I continue, but I have a few weeks to wait before I can launch the Windmill..

Rob Beckers
12th June 2010, 06:22
Looks steep Jim!
Can't imagine moving concrete in a wheelbarrow up there; it's hard on level ground...

Where are the J-bolts for the tower? I can't see anything sticking out of that concrete block you made.

-RoB-

Jim Mac
12th June 2010, 08:37
Hey Rob,

Luckily we had to travel downhill with the Wheelbarrow, but it was a long 70+FT haul each way..

This will be the 65ft Guyed Tower that uses 2.5" Steel water pipe as the tower. There are 4 Dead-Man anchors which get backfilled completely and a center pad where the the tower will sit.

The 4 Dead-Man Anchors have 4,900 lb test Galvanized Chain cast into them for the guy wires to connect to. Since I am still waiting for the tower, the center mounting pad will need to be drilled when I get the tower because I didn't have have the base template. The instructional manual says to simply Stake or Bolt the base in place. The center pad takes no lateral force except when raising or lowering via gin pole. I am thinking of using cement anchors like pictured below.

Jim Mac
13th July 2010, 21:36
Update..

So the Whisper 200 is up.. And I ordered a Xantrex Prosine 3 inverter. http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/42/p/1/pt/8/product.asp

It went up pretty well. I'm still working on tweaking the cable adjustments but my hands are sore to the bone from the guy wires..

When I finish, I will update with some more pics of the charge controller and such.

Rob Beckers
14th July 2010, 05:32
Looking great Jim!
Is your house off-grid?

-RoB-

Jim Mac
14th July 2010, 07:43
Looking great Jim!
Is your house off-grid?

-RoB-

Edit... No my home has Electrical Service provided from the Utility Company. I'm hoping to supplement with my own:)