PDA

View Full Version : New member with aurora questions

Jarrod Cram
5th June 2010, 09:08
Well real quick I have homemade axial flux gene with 13 foot blades .And a aurora grid tie inverter 4.2 love it . I seem to have devolped a problem it seems when the wind mill isnt spining and the inverter is in stanby the voltage climbs to 130 volts dc now this is with no wind . And if I shot the relay off that runs the rectifier the voltage sets back to around 44 volts dc as soon as ingage the relay it ramps back up and doesnt let the inverter shut down in a no wind situation. The pv protection is set to 180 secs but never gets a chance to work. Any there isnt any erors codes. Thanks jarrod:unsure:

Rob Beckers
6th June 2010, 06:42
Hi Jarrod,

I'm not quite following what you're saying: When the turbine is standing still, you're still seeing 130V DC on the display of the inverter?

-RoB-

Jarrod Cram
6th June 2010, 20:20
Basically the wind mill isnt spinning and the inverter is seeing voltage dc as soon as i shut the relay off that runs the rectifier the voltage would stablize . I figured it out today buy chance it was the omron voltage sensing relay that was sending voltage instead of just sensing voltage the v3 or the com input were malfuncting maybe from sensing to much voltage on 2 of the legs of the 3 phase . Well today I got home after heavy winds and the wind mill stalled not moving well the omron smoked out and luckly the al1 sercuit cooked in the closed postion and went to dump and stop the windmill . I had used the omron to turn on my 3 phase relay and turn on my dump load had worked fine but i figure it saw to much voltage earlyer and started acting up .

Rob Beckers
7th June 2010, 05:01
I've not heard of problems with Omron relays, they seem pretty robust. Maybe Cor can chime in, he's also using those relays. The V3 input is good for 600V (it'll withstand 750V), either AC or DC, and it handles 2kV between the sensing inputs and the supply lines. The internal relays are good for 6A resistive and 1A inductive load. For a 120V contactor that means you can switch at least 120 Watt, probably more.

If I recall, you're using a 24V contactor: How much does it draw for the coil?

-RoB-

Jarrod Cram
7th June 2010, 14:25
The 24 volt relay wasnt much and it had never been really used because I had never seen a over voltage on al1 circuit . What really is wered is how the com and v3 was leaking voltage buy so that the inverter never turned off in a no wind situation .
Well for now Im using a windy girl protector set to 400 volts dc trip . I bought this way back and never really used it because my last inverter didnt like it wired in paralle on the dc side before the inverter, kept throwing a ground falt at low voltage . What I did was isulate it from the inverter throw another rectifier . I personally have never hered of any one else using this but so far wired the way I have it it is working awsome and uses no power . Today the winds are gusting to 16 mph and im seeing close 1,000 watts at around 300 volts one real big gust did trip the windy girl and the turbine slowed right down and restarted and everthing was fine on the inverter side . What I did after was change the voltage table on aurora and kept the voltage down and lowered the tsr a little so it wasnt bousing off that all the time

Jarrod Cram
7th June 2010, 22:04
Ok got home tonight and the inverter is still on but no wind or movment from turbine . If I disconect the inverter from the wind mill the voltage dc goes from 60 down to a stable 40 dc and begins the countdown to go to sleep.As soon as I turn the switch on to reconnect the wind mill the voltage jumps to 60 or so and the inverter stays on. I guess i was wrong about the omron causing this . Some how the inverter is seeing voltage or thinks it is from the rectifier or wind mill out of ideas . Right now I have to shut the switch off till the inverter shuts off and then reconect it and the inverter doesnt turn on till the wind starts blowing again . And right now with the inverter off I measure no voltage it only shows it when it is on and the wind mill isnt spinning .

Rob Beckers
8th June 2010, 07:01
Hi Jarred,

I've seen this happen with stacked inverters, but never with a single one. I've sent the info to Power-One (they were looking into it for the stacked inverter scenario), maybe someone there has an idea.

Does the WindyGirl have anything to do with it? Ie. when you disconnect that one, any change? Did you change the Vstart value as we discussed previously, to something above what's the inverter measures, say 70V?

-RoB-

Jarrod Cram
8th June 2010, 08:20
Last night I tried everthing I could think of disconnected the windy girl everthing Fo some reason if the inverter sees the wind mill stoped it raises the voltage but no amps or current just voltage was staying around 50 dc to 65dc . with the omron hooked up it went as high as 130 dc thats why I thought that was it . I am stumped I tested everthing last night with a fluke meter nothing as soon as I disconnect the iinverter 3 phase feed from the wind mill it stops and goes to sleep and the aurora commonicator also shows this voltage on my lab top

Jarrod Cram
8th June 2010, 09:13
I did change the v start to 90 volts and the first table voltage is 100 dc in and 15 watts out.

Jarrod Cram
8th June 2010, 11:43
I talked to there tech support the morning , not the answer I was hopping for he had no idea . Not sure were to go from here any ideas out there . Thanks jarrod

Jarrod Cram
9th June 2010, 11:26
Well after talking to Rob I think I have figured it out . Cant be sure but last night I got home and the inverter was on with no wind blowing and I turned the brake on well what i did was short out the positive and negative leads on the rectifier not the best idea but i didnt have any resistors well the inverter started to go to sleep . So what I can figure is I will need a resistor between the 2 legs to help discharge the capacitars . For what ever reason the windmill at a stop induses some type of voltage and doesnt let the capacitors discharge all the way .

Jarrod Cram
10th June 2010, 14:14
Well 300 kilo ohms across the positive and negative feed seems to of took care of the problem last night it shut off on its own with the resistor . Big thanks Rob for the help:bigsmile:

Rob Beckers
11th June 2010, 05:36
Thanks for posting back Jarrod!
This is definitely something I want to keep in mind in case others run into the same.

-RoB-

Jarrod Cram
11th June 2010, 09:10
All I can think is the axial flux wound for high voltage grid tie without the wind box runs into some time of voltage feed back at a stop in the wind turbine .