PDA

View Full Version : Could this "Solar Breakthrough" also benefit Wind Power?

Jo Ferg
27th April 2010, 12:23
I'm not sure is "PR has Trumped Science" as the headlines says...

But it seems to me as though this "breakthrough" could just as easily be advantaged by Wind Power sources !

http://environauts.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/has-pr-trumped-science-at-mit/

Presumably
Jo

Allan Adams
3rd May 2010, 22:06
Wind can produce far more than solar in a smaller footprint... however, the sun shines some (if only through the mist) more than the wind does blow. Storage is the issue. Drawing down on batteries in between a breeze and then surging up suddenly is hard on even an Optima. It is far more feasible for now to shine... Gently… for now. Partly because it is less efficient, but more constant, and thus less surge. Watch for battery breakthroughs. Few things can produce electrical current as efficiently as vapor and fluid current, (current to current is a sublime equation) but one needs a good box to put it in for a spell. It does depend on where you are, but where it blows THAT much blows.

Dale Sheler
5th May 2010, 19:14
Is COST, solar is just too damned expensive, period. A small solar system can add 30% to the cost of a new house, until there is a big cost break through, solar will never see widespread incorporation by large masses of people.

Allan Adams
5th May 2010, 19:55
I am not going to disagree with what you say. It is true... but you are not reading carefully who and what I am. My paradigm is "encapsulated solar". In simpler terms that is cells-to-need with a unique twist... what I call 1331 shear back panels. It is very affordable and so practical that you have to be a stone cold idiot not to do solar.

Allan Adams
5th May 2010, 20:53
I go to jail tomorrow night. Those like us can only dance this side of the law so long. I did not do anything bad... I just speak out on a level very agitating to those who oil slick. I forgive them… if they step up. Yet, they are them and I go to jail.

I do hope some out there will reach inside to here.

Russ Bailey
7th May 2010, 12:25
Allan - That has a lot to do with following the law it seems to me.

İ totally disagree with those like the Greek loonies taking things into their own hands.

Have fun!

Allan Adams
7th May 2010, 12:31
I broke no law. I was assaulted by a police officer who did not believe I was disabled. I am, in fact, totally disabled. The officer assumed things that were not so. It is the greatest mistake to think that because someone puts on a uniform they are beyond making a mistake.

Russ Bailey
8th May 2010, 01:41
Hi Allan, Best of luck with your time. İ expect that you will find most everyone else in the slammer is innocent as well!

Allan Adams
8th May 2010, 03:45
You are rather a strange and bitter person. Some facts you are not aware of might help you overcome your bitterness. I was arrested on a minor infraction. I was the one who called the police in the first place. The officer is, like you, bitter because I am vocal about solar. But I was arrested only because I could not respond readily to his every command. That constitutes obstructing an officer if one does so willingly out of obstinacy. I did not respond to commands because of my disabilities ~ not because of any choice. I wanted to comply. The officer refused to accept that I was disabled at all. The charge is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine, so I am not entitled to representation. I don’t have to go to jail if I pay the fine. I refuse to pay the fine to bring attention to the fact that such officers need training. I do this because my adopted daughter is far more severely disabled than I and I would not want her subject to the same fate.

I suppose you are one of those strange ducks that think the Jews were guilty in the World War II era ~ just because goose stepping madmen in uniform said so. It is our obligation to resist injustice for the sake of others who could be subjected to the same injustice.

Ralph Day
8th May 2010, 06:14
Russ
I don't think this is the kind of forum for your responses to Allan. We might not agree with what others espouse, but Rob has started and run this forum with respect for others in mind. How many other forums require your full name as signature?

Take a look at the CBC news online and you'll see just how far "discussion"can degenerate. Let's keep above that lowest common denominator.

Ralph

Russ Bailey
8th May 2010, 06:16
@Ralph - İ totally agree with you - no more comments from me on this topic.

Allan Adams
8th May 2010, 06:33
I don’t think there was disagreement as much as a desire to flame without knowing all the facts. I live in oil country and have six small ones myself. In spite of that I do run into resentment locally because I vocally and visually promote solar. Much of bringing solar into areas like this is in changing the minds of those in the area. Solar is not a threat to oil. Especially not in this area where oil pump sheds can greatly benefit from encapsulated solar installations. Running ever so slightly afoul of the law is sometimes one of those obstacles we must overcome, not because we did anything wrong, but because officers are as human as any of us.

Rob Beckers
8th May 2010, 09:33
I've lost how this could possibly have anything to do with wind power, and we seem to have come to the point where name calling gets involved. So let's end it here. Thread closed.

-RoB-