PDA

View Full Version : H80 repairs

Ralph Day
2nd April 2010, 17:24
Thanks to Mario my H80 is once again producing power.

Short story is: the unit started to make grinding noises and would freeze up/stop in the bitter cold. I'd been told bearings would last 5 years and this behavior began at 5 years and a couple of months. When the unit was brought down it would not turn at all. The yaw bearings were slow and grumbly (so following the wind was always behind).

Called Mario, who's done this before, and tore the unit apart in his shop. Pressed out the worn bearings, purchased new ones ($68, 3 on the rotor, 2 for the yaw) not bad. Another morning to press the new bearings onto the shafts and into the housings and ready to fly again...except...

There is a kit for the furling pivot...shaft, nuts, washers, bushings and pin. Total cost US $78, plus taxes, plus shipping, plus duty etc etc. I figured I could do without changing the pivot stuff, until I put the castings back together and saw how much play there was. The play was not from the worn bronze bushing but from the steel pin (threaded end) passing through the aluminum housing (top half of the turbine containing, well, everything!) The hole had become oval instead of circular, hence the play. What to do?

Local tractor service and parts place to the rescue, they sold a variety of bushings. I purchased one that was close in sizes, bored it out to fit the pin, then drilled out the old oval hole slightly larger to fit the bushing. In a perfect world this would have been machined or done on a drill press, but all the wiring was epoxied and tucked away in the nacelle so lazy Ralph didn't want to re-do a couple of hours of work. With the bushing piece cut to length, about 3/8 inch long, I gooped it up with anti seize and put it all back together.

TOday we (spouse/helper/bill payer) re-installed the turbine, blades, tail on the mast and sent it back in the air. As soon as the brake was off it started spinning in a really light wind...not since brand new has it performed so well in light wind. Once a high wind comes along I'll see how well it furls. Lately it had been sticking in the furled position (I tightened the pivot nut...like the manual says not to).

The grinding noises were not just disintegrating bearings...there was wear on the magnets on the rotor where they had been making contact with the stator (rotor on the outside, stator on the inside). Not much damage so some paint on the magnets and some varnish on the stator took care of that. You could even see a little wear on the aluminum housing where the edge of the rotor can had impinged on it. Worn bearings on precision equipment should not be left until near destruction...next time I'll know to replace them early!

All in all a fun week. Last activity on the microFIT front was sinking the racking anchors in the concrete pad last Saturday. 8 hours of diesel generator, compressor and hammer drill running, and epoxying the 3/4 threaded rod pieces in. And that's with 2 people working...glad I didn't tackle that alone.

Ralph

Dan Lenox
3rd April 2010, 08:09
Ralph,

They also sell heli-coil kits for repairing stripped threads. But I think that you did well with using oversized bushing.

Have you came to the conclusion of what caused this situation in the first place? Could it be a geometry thing with misalignment of moving parts - hence the oval?

Glad to see that it is running 'like new' again.

Dan Lenox

Ralph Day
3rd April 2010, 15:57
Hi Dan
I don't know exactly what caused the wear of the housing. The furling results in the turbine (most of the mass of it) tilting up and back to spill the wind, and the 1inch bushing and steel pin are supposed to facilitate that action. There was no discernable wear on the bushing or the pin, so the action worked the steel pin's threaded end against the aluminum of the main turbine housing...the up and down back and forth motion of a hard material against a softer one and presto, a wear point.

It seems that if you have 70 pounds of turbine getting slung up to spill wind you have the potential for wear due to the kinetic action of the furling. To put a little bushing or collar on the threaded portion of the steel rod, or maybe not putting threads on the part passing through the housing would have saved this happening, and cost what...2 cents?

I can still see a little vibration (tail going up and down), but only because of the reflective tape on the tail. It could well be the rotor is out of balance now due to the wear on the magnets, but not by much. The blades were exactly the same weight when installed, but that's not the same as balanced...one may have more mass closer to the hub or further away from the hub. If this repair lasts as long as the cheap Chinese original bearings I'll be happy. Present ones are SKF, US and european made, fingers crossed.

Also learned a trick...the bushing was 3/8 inside measure, slip a 3/8 drill inside for enough distance to preclude the lathe chuck or vise from distorting the circular shape. Next time.

Ralph

Rob Beckers
3rd April 2010, 19:38
Good to hear the turbine is running again! How much of your energy comes from there vs. the PV modules?

Talking about PV; I remember your plans for a MicroFIT array (it's kind of funny to see you have an off-grid house yet put a PV array on the grid :cool: ). Maybe you can start a thread to document your progress. Over here there are many tire kickers, but so far few takers. It's quite an investment after all. I'm putting up a 5kW on my own roof, and currently waiting to hear back from the OPA with the conditional offer.

By the way, expanding anchor bolts work really well in concrete (especially fresh concrete that is not yet idiotically hard). A hammer drill makes short work of the holes, and the larger size bolts will hold a heck of a lot. I've used them on pads, as well as in walls holding up heavy items. It would save you the epoxy mess.

-RoB-

Ralph Day
4th April 2010, 15:26
Our energy input from the wind turbine started at about 600kwhrs per year, and in the last 2 went down to 560kwhrs. THis might be a reflection of different wind patterns or, more likely, poor performance due to the worn bearings. It would be more wind to start production, and the yaw bearings were siezing up so following the wind was poor too. Usually about 20% of our renewable energy is from the wind, the rest from solar...with about 125-150 hours of generator run time.

Not to admit defeat, but we're putting in a load service when the microFIT system goes in. Thinking long term about the house, the shop and such it seems like the right time to do it. Once we have a load service and account we can apply to net meter our domestic solar and wind renewables to cover the account. The credits are usable within a one year period:nuts: not 3 months like i used to think. It will require another cable pull from garage to house to enable the GTI and inverter to use full 60 amps available. Until then we can use a transfer switch to select grid or generator power to charge batteries when necessary.

The engineer on the project was worried about vibration from wind on the arrays causing a failure of wedge anchors, the epoxy was easy, the cleaning of the holes was time consuming...but noting will move them!

It was my intention (and is) to do a thread on the project, but it's taking so long... We started investigating in Sept. 09;, began clearing and put concrete down in Nov 09, then nothing until last week. I just tell myself that my 20 year contract will run longer this way. The racking we're getting is robust to say the least. Pictures will tell, but I'll wait until there's more to show and lay out the time-line.

Ralph

Paul Bailey
4th April 2010, 19:54
Ralph : After seeing the Racking I realize that it is a relative of Sherman Tank design ( VERY strong, brings peice of mind while you sleep during a very windy night, but has to be way overkill and ALOT more money). Now your neighbours down the road with the flexible alluminum tracker pole mounts Seems greatly undersized in a couple critical spots and yet they are certified/engineered ???. the word "SAIL AWAY" comes to mind. I'll post a small sample pic of both . How that pole mount survived our winds with two 10mm bolts holding the pivot arm is beyond me. The owner didn't feel comfortable with it either, after I questioned its strength and is going to FIX/strenghen it with several more down braces. Oh I should mention that a trackable rack will payout about another $140 per month (CDN dollars) on a 10 Kw array over the contract Term. Paul:)

Maybe I'll start a new post with all the numbers .in a new Solar thread as this one was supposed to be about wind , sorry guys'

Ralph Day
5th April 2010, 11:31
Nice pics Paul
How about the difference between the main cross member in aluminum and in 4"box tubing with 1/4 inch wall. Which would you rather see in your installation? Mind you, the big steel stuff requires tractors with loaders to move about and place, but everyone so far on Russ's list is so equipped.

As far as over-engineering? THe load for a 100mph wind is 55 pounds per square foot. If you look at how many sq feet 12kw is (our system 12kw pv, 10kw inverters), probably 1000sq feet or so, then your ballast weight should be 55000 pounds. That is including the steel weight I guess. I heard of one system using parking curbs as weights. That would add up to a big stack of parking curbs under your panels.

Back to wind...could you imagine if Russ and his engineer pal designed a small domestic wind turbine :D? It would surely hold up in the worst wind..if you could get it up in the air. The weight of a Bergy 10kw for a 1.5kw yeild perhaps?? :amazed:

Not badmouthing my engineer, never. The stuff here will last the 20 year lifetime and more. If it blows away it will land on my house which will be somewhere in Lake Ontario...it'll take that kind of wind to cause it to fail:love:.

Ralph