PDA

View Full Version : rectifier help

Mark Cave
15th March 2010, 17:47
I assume you are familiar with the PMAs made out of Delco alternators. Good or bad that what I am currently using. It runs a pump. If the wind doesn't blow I need to be able to run a generator or something to pump some water for my cows.

I have to three leads from the stator wired to a grounded extension cord. So what comes down the pole is wild three phase. One phase per wire. All three wires are hot; where the ground would normally be is hot. I do this so if a wear out a cord from twisting, I can just unplug it and replace it. It then goes into may control box where i have the standard Delco rectifier (the one which used to reside inside the alternator) mounted. It converts the wild 3 phase to dc voltage and sends it down hole to my submersible pump.

What DC voltage will a get if I plug the cord that is supposed to go to the head into standard 120 AC. Basically 2 hot legs into the rectifier and one dead. will this EVEN work?

Cor van Houtum
17th March 2010, 06:53
Hello Marc,

If you only connect 2 out of three wires on the ac site of the rectifier it wil work
normaly.
but take care that the third wire is not connected at all.
because you use earth as a lead on your head.

the output voltage DC wil be about 1.38 higher as the input
but if you measure this with a dc multimeter it will NOT give the good reading

just put a elco on the dc site and then you will measure the right voltage
connect + and - according and the max voltage of the elco should be more then 200 volts.

I think inputting 120 volts ac you wil get about 160 - 165 volts dc

kind regards