Cor van Houtum
1st March 2010, 14:04
Hello windfriends,
last saturday we have build the first new type 10kw
the new about this turbine is the controlling
the brake is hydraulic diskbrake
as an extra it is dumploaded with 16000 watts of dumpload that has two stages
the yaw is also done with a hydraulic motor
the blades are 8 metres in diameter and we put everything on a hydraulic tower.
the plc is from mitsubishi and connected to a color touchscreen.
I connected the grid true 2pcs of aurora 6000 inverters
in future we are going to change this to the new aurora 12 kw 3 phase inverter
wich is announced for the month of may.

look at my video and have fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdmlkLmnnwk

Dan Lenox
5th March 2010, 08:28
Cor,

What can I say?

Your designs and implementations are very professional!

It would appear that you are selling them as the fiberglass components (blades/etc) all appear to be made by a 3rd party, so I can assume that you have finalized your current design and are going into some limited production.

You mentioned that the yaw control was hydraulic? Can you give me more information on that?

I see anemometer and wind direction sensors on the nacell, I would guess that this data feeds back down the tower into a computer. And it would appear that at the base of the tower you have control equipment, and it is there that you manually yaw the turbine either into or out of the wind?

Dan Lenox

Cor van Houtum
5th March 2010, 15:33
Hello Dan,

The wind direction is measured and the nacel is turning automatic into the wind
in 4 minutes the wind direction is measured for 60 times and the average is calculated
then the turning starts
when in the next 4 minutes the avarage is changed for more then 15 degraas the nacelle is turned to adjust

when the windspeed , rpm , voltage or the current gets out of range the nacelle wil turn 60 degrees

when only the rpm goes to high then the nacelle is tuned up or down for 15 degrees so the speed wil decrease.

this is how it works

kind regards
cor

Dan Lenox
5th March 2010, 21:31
Cor,

Thanks for the info on data acquisition and operation of how the yaw actually is performed, nice that it is automated rather than manual.

I would like to update my 17' axial flux machine which is on a fixed 70' tower and to separate the 'typical' axial flux blade assy from the rotor/stator assy for ease of maintenance. In addition I would like to eliminate the mechanical furling tail as with these larger machines it just doesn't seem to be working for me.

Unfortunately for me I am located in an area that in the winter time typical weather goes down to 0 - F degrees with nasty wind gusts and freezing rain, so need protection from the severe elements.

You mentioned that the yaw control was hydraulic? I am very interested in the mechanical aspect of the physical yaw movement, can you divulge more information. If these are trade secrets then not asking for that, just general info as I have good fabrication skills as well as 34+ yrs of software engineering.

I assume that you are using a hydraulic rotary motor to drive a ring style gear and using sensors to keep track of the actual yaw angle as measured from a fixed point.

Dan